[LETTERHEAD OF VENABLE LLP]
October 9, 2020
Gladstone Land Corporation Suite 100
1521 Westbranch Drive
McLean, Virginia 22102
Registration Statement on Form S-3 (Registration No. 333-236943)
Ladies and Gentlemen:
We have served as Maryland counsel to Gladstone Land Corporation, a Maryland corporation (the Company), in connection with certain matters of Maryland law arising out of a public offering (the Offering) of up to 1,650,000 shares (the Shares) of common stock, par value $0.001 per share, of the Company (including up to 247,500 Shares which the underwriters in the Offering have the option to purchase), covered by the above-referenced Registration Statement, and all amendments thereto (the Registration Statement), filed by the Company with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission (the Commission) under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the 1933 Act). The Shares are to be issued in the Offering pursuant to an Underwriting Agreement, dated October 8, 2020 (the Underwriting Agreement), by and among the Company, Gladstone Land Limited Partnership, a Delaware limited partnership, and Janney Montgomery Scott LLC, as representative of the several underwriters listed on Schedule A thereto.
In connection with our representation of the Company, and as a basis for the opinion hereinafter set forth, we have examined originals, or copies certified or otherwise identified to our satisfaction, of the following documents (hereinafter collectively referred to as the Documents):
1. The Registration Statement;
2. The Prospectus, dated April 1, 2020, as supplemented by a Prospectus Supplement, dated October 8, 2020 (the Prospectus Supplement), filed with the Commission pursuant to Rule 424(b) of the General Rules and Regulations promulgated under the 1933 Act;
3. The charter of the Company (the Charter), certified by the State Department of Assessments and Taxation of Maryland (the SDAT);
4. The Amended and Restated Bylaws of the Company, certified as of the date hereof by an officer of the Company;
5. A certificate of the SDAT as to the good standing of the Company, dated as of a recent date;
6. Resolutions adopted by the Board of Directors of the Company and duly authorized committees thereof relating to, among other matters, the authorization of the sale, issuance and registration of the Shares (the Resolutions), certified as of the date hereof by an officer of the Company;
7. The Underwriting Agreement;
8. A certificate executed by an officer of the Company, dated as of the date hereof; and
Gladstone Land Corporation
October 9, 2020
9. Such other documents and matters as we have deemed necessary or appropriate to express the opinion set forth below, subject to the assumptions, limitations and qualifications stated herein.
In expressing the opinion set forth below, we have assumed the following:
1. Each individual executing any of the Documents, whether on behalf of such individual or another person, is legally competent to do so.
2. Each individual executing any of the Documents on behalf of a party (other than the Company) is duly authorized to do so.
3. Each of the parties (other than the Company) executing any of the Documents has duly and validly executed and delivered each of the Documents to which such party is a signatory, and such partys obligations set forth therein are legal, valid and binding and are enforceable in accordance with all stated terms.
4. All Documents submitted to us as originals are authentic. The form and content of all Documents submitted to us as unexecuted drafts do not differ in any respect relevant to this opinion from the form and content of such Documents as executed and delivered. All Documents submitted to us as certified or photostatic copies conform to the original documents. All signatures on all Documents are genuine. All public records reviewed or relied upon by us or on our behalf are true and complete. All representations, warranties, statements and information contained in the Documents are true and complete. There has been no oral or written modification of or amendment to any of the Documents, and there has been no waiver of any provision of any of the Documents, by action or omission of the parties or otherwise.
5. The Shares will not be issued in violation of any restriction or limitation contained in Article 7 of the Charter.
Based upon the foregoing, and subject to the assumptions, limitations and qualifications stated herein, it is our opinion that:
1. The Company is a corporation duly incorporated and existing under and by virtue of the laws of the State of Maryland and is in good standing with the SDAT.
2. The issuance of the Shares has been duly authorized and, when and to the extent issued against payment therefor in accordance with the Registration Statement, the Prospectus Supplement, the Resolutions and the Underwriting Agreement, the Shares will be validly issued, fully paid and nonassessable.
The foregoing opinion is limited to the laws of the State of Maryland and we do not express any opinion herein concerning federal law or the law of any other state. We express no opinion as to the applicability or effect of any federal or state securities laws, including the securities laws of the State of Maryland, or as to federal or state laws regarding fraudulent transfers. To the extent that any matter as to which our opinion is expressed herein would be governed by the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Maryland, we do not express any opinion on such matter. The opinion expressed herein is subject to the effect of judicial decisions which may permit the introduction of parol evidence to modify the terms or the interpretation of agreements.
Gladstone Land Corporation
October 9, 2020
The opinion expressed herein is limited to the matters specifically set forth herein and no other opinion shall be inferred beyond the matters expressly stated. We assume no obligation to supplement this opinion if any applicable law changes after the date hereof or if we become aware of any fact that might change the opinion expressed herein after the date hereof.
This opinion is being furnished to you for submission to the Commission as an exhibit to the Companys Current Report on Form 8-K relating to the Offering (the Current Report), which is incorporated by reference in the Registration Statement. We hereby consent to the filing of this opinion as an exhibit to the Current Report and the said incorporation by reference and to the use of the name of our firm therein. In giving this consent, we do not admit that we are within the category of persons whose consent is required by Section 7 of the 1933 Act.
|Very truly yours,|
|/s/ Venable LLP|